The objectives of the FSU are spelt out in Section 4 of the FSU Act, 18 of 2008 (PDF 83.14KB), as follows:
The objectives of the Unit are to:-
- Maintain the public’s confidence in the financial system;
- Facilitate the deterrence of financial crimes;
- Supervise financial services licensees in accordance with legislation, regulations and codes;
- Ensure periodic evaluation of the legislative and regulatory framework in accordance with developments in the financial services sector;
- Promote best practices, mutual assistance and exchange of information by maintaining contact and forging relations with foreign regulatory authorities, international associations of regulatory authority bodies or groups relevant to its functions;
- Facilitate the development of the financial services sector.